The Occupy Iowa Caucus is committed to nonviolence and nonviolent action. All participants in events and protest sponsored by the Occupy Iowa Caucus are expected to share this commitment to nonviolence and nonviolent action. While nonviolence is defined in different ways by different people in different contexts, and while there exists the need to continue discussion and debate on how nonviolence and nonviolent action is conceived, 1st in NOC is adopting the following principles for this particular campaign.
- We will act with love, openness, compassion, and respect toward all who we encounter and their surroundings. We will not be violent in our actions, words, or otherwise—toward any person or property.
- We will act fairly and honestly with people regardless of the situation or the role they play.
- We will remain calm and aware at all times.
- We will prepare ourselves before we act, and will recognize our opposition is to a system of greed and economic exploitation, not to individual members of the system.
- We will keep a clear state of mind, refraining from the use of drugs or alcohol, other than for medical purposes and we will not bring any illegal drugs or alcohol to any Occupy Iowa Caucus events.
- We will carry no weapons.
- We will seek dialogue with those who may disagree with us and maintain a spirit of openness, friendliness and respect towards all with whom we engage.
- We will gather and act in a manner that reflects the world we choose to create.